Who do you report nursing home abuse to?

Nursing Home Abuse


If you see that your loved one is in immediate danger, then I encourage you to call 911 and request emergency services and the local police department.

If the danger is not necessarily immediate, or you simply suspect that abuse has occurred, start with calling the Department of Community Health, Healthcare Facility Regulation, at 1-800-878-6442. You may also file a complaint against the facility online, at dch.georgia.gov.

Another resource that you will want to get involved is the Georgia Long Term Care Ombudsman. The main function of the Ombudsman Program is to both investigate and intervene on complaints made by residents of nursing homes and assisted living facilities. The Ombudsman office is an excellent resource for you, as they maintain information regarding systematic problems with various facilities. You can reach the Georgia Long Term Care Ombudsman at 888-454-5826.

If your loved one does NOT reside in a long-term care facility, start with reporting your suspicion to the Georgia Adult Protective Services Office at 1-866-552-4464, that is 1-866-55AGING. Reports are accepted via phone Monday through Friday 8AM to 5PM. Persons who report abuse in good faith are generally immune from liability, and the reporter’s identity is kept confidential.

If you suspect that your loved one has been abused, and you are not sure where to turn, please do not hesitate to call and speak to one of our experienced nursing home lawyers today.